Monday, November 1, 2010

Maura Kelly on Mike and Molly - Overweight Couples on Television - Marie Claire

I am so GOD DAMN PISSED right now I can hardly keep my hands from shaking as I write this post. I just heard about the statements made by Maura Kelly in the recent issue of Marie Clare Magazine about the lead characters on Mike and Molly kissing. The title of the article is Should "Fatties" Get A Room? (Even On TV?)
Well Miss Maura Kelly, all I can say is that you are an insensitive bitch and I am shocked and amazed that someone so clueless is employed by any media that is not run by Fox News or the 700Club. There is no excuse for these remarks and the lame apology (that I am sure the magazine lawyers made her write) is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I am sick of people who should be intelligent and educated making such stupid, insensitive, hurtful remarks. She even admits that she has been called a bully in the past. Enough is enough! Let Marie Clare know that this is not acceptable! I for one find both Mike (Billy Gardell) and Molly (Melissa McCarthy) just adorable.

My initial response was: Hmm, being overweight is one thing — those people are downright obese! And while I think our country's obsession with physical perfection is unhealthy, I also think it's at least equally crazy, albeit in the other direction, to be implicitly promoting obesity! Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy. And obesity is costing our country far more in terms of all the related health problems we are paying for, by way of our insurance, than any other health problem, even cancer.
So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.
Now, don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk. And I also know how tough it can be for truly heavy people to psych themselves up for the long process of slimming down. (For instance, the overweight maintenance guy at my gym has talked to me a little bit about how it seems worthless for him to even try working out, because he's been heavy for as long as he can remember.)
But ... I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it
Click here for the full story.

No comments:

Post a Comment