Monday, February 6, 2012

Long Live the Queen!

And no, I am not talking about myself. 

Tributes poured in to Queen Elizabeth II on Monday as she marked 60 years on the throne with a message vowing to continue serving the British people.
Dressed in a Tiffany-blue hat and colorful overcoat against the winter cold, she was greeted by well-wishers in the snow-covered town of King's Lynn at an event planned to mark Accession Day, the anniversary of the day she became queen in 1952.
"I love that the monarchy is above politics and feel that the queen represents that best of all," said Laura Skrzynski, a longtime admirer of Elizabeth who joined the crowd of about 150 people applauding the queen's arrival. "She stands for integrity and respect, and I am inspired by her faith. She has been a constant through all our lives."
Accession Day is usually marked quietly because it also marks the anniversary of the death of Elizabeth's father, King George VI. But it drew extra attention Monday because this year marks the queen's Diamond Jubilee celebration. Only Queen Victoria had a longer reign.
Elizabeth said in a message to mark the occasion that she and her husband, Prince Philip, have been "deeply moved" to receive so many kind messages about her Diamond Jubilee.
"I am writing to thank you for the wonderful support and encouragement that you have given to me and Prince Philip over these years," she wrote in a message to the nation.
"In this special year, as I dedicate myself anew to your service, I hope that we will all be reminded of the power of togetherness and the convening strength of family, friendship and good neighborliness, examples of which I have been fortunate to see throughout my reign."

For the full story follow the link.
Queen Celebrates 60 Years on Throne - ABC News

No comments:

Post a Comment